Sunday 13 December 2009

Evaluation: Final Front Pgae































In this evaluation of my final double page spread I will be answering the following questions:

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

Who would be the audience for your media product?

How did you attract address your audience?

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

This is my final draft of my front cover for my magazine. This magazine is a culture music magazine and mostly aimed at rock and indie music fans, however it can also be targeted at pop fans. The house design I have used for my front cover is some what the similar as Rolling Stone magazine, which is also a cultural music magazine. For the mis-en-scene I have used a plain black background. This is so the magazine front cover will not look to busy as allot of writing and a busy background on my magazine may look unprofessional and prevent reader’s buying the magazine. I have aimed my magazine at both female and male and therefore have not used any feminine or masculine colours, such as blue or pink. Instead i opted to use neutral colours, green, black and white. I decided to only use three colours so, again, the magazine does not look too busy and therefore unprofessional. The main attraction of my front cover is the picture of a singer called Sally High. This is one of my four original images. The pose I decided on for the main image was of the model to have a microphone thrown over her shoulder. This straight away tells us that this person is a singer. It also gives a laid-back feeling which will suit my magazine perfectly as I hope it to be a relaxed entertaining music magazine. A cut out picture of the main article on a front cover of a magazine is a common convention of a music magazine.






The name "Sally High" is the biggest headline on the front of my magazine. The reason this is the biggest headline is because I want the name of this singer to stand out and the first thing potential buyers will see, as I hope an article on this singer will sell my magazine. Under the headline is the name of the article "Confessions of a Good Girl". The word Good is in green whilst the rest of the words are in black. This is so "Good" stands out from the rest of the name of the article as "Good" is an intriguing paradoxical phrase and will therefore attract customers to read my magazine. "Sally High" is also in a rugged font, this links with the type of personality I want this singer, Sally High, to have.


The masthead "Jango" is at the top of the page and in a green font. This is the name of my music magazine and therefore at the top right hand side of my page. The masthead also crosses over on to the singers face. This is the name of my magazine would always be situated if the magazine had more editions. This is to establish the house style of the magazine. Underneath "Jango" is the sell line of my magazine. The sell line will help my magazine. Every time someone hears the phrase "I am music - Music I am" they will relate it to the music magazine Jango, just as Kerrang’s sell line is "Life is loud".


The smaller headlines on the front page, such as, "The Killers in crisis", "The Kings of Leon on Led Zeppelin" and "100 ways to get free music" are all to draw buyers to my magazine. "The Killers in crisis; is this the end of Brandon Flowers" is volatility, a short lived panic which have negative consequences. Many who are fans of The Killers will buy this magazine for this specific article to get the latest gossip on The Killers. In the headline "100 ways to get free music" the word "free" is in green whilst the rest of the rest of the text is in white. This is to make the word "Free" stand out.


"100 pages of festival gossip" will appeal to my target audience as most audiences at festivals such as, Glastonbury, Leeds and Reading are late teens (16 years+) and young adults. If the reader had been to any festivals the past summer then they will but the magazine as they have a vested interest to. Or if they did not they will buy the magazine to see what "gossip" they missed.


At the bottom of my front cover is a banner. The banner is to help the over bands that have smaller articles in my magazine stand out. Guns & Roses, Vampire Weekend, The Arctic Monkeys, Blur and U2, are all bands which appeal to my target audience, of males and females aged from there late teens to mid 20s who are fans of rock and indie.


Barcode is placed at the top right hand corner of page, so not to "interrupt" with the front cover of the magazine. The date the magazine is issued and the price is also in small font under the bar code. This information is not important and therefore is in a small font in the corner of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment