Tuesday 15 December 2009

Evaluation: Double Page Spread
















In this evaluation of my final double page spread I will be answering the following questions:






In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?







How does your media product represent particular social groups?






Who would be the audience for your media product?






How did you attract address your audience?






What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?










My double page spread features the same artist as that on my front cover. This is because this article is the main attraction to this months edition of Jango.



My article does not have a title, as many magazines such as Rolling Stone and Q do not have main titles for there articles. Instead I have focused more on the picture. The picture is of the artist playing at a live gig. There is a clear anchorage between the picture ad the text. The text clearly describes Sally High's current life and live shows she has recently performed. I have included two pictures of Sally in my article; one with her with blonde hair and another with her ginger hair. This links to the text which states "her non-stop change of style". This article shows tow of those different styles. The readers of the article will instantly recognise the picture of Sally High and know this article is the article that is displayed on the front cover of the magazine, "Confessions of a good girl".



The article starts with a drop capital. Drop capitals are clearly evident in most magazines, especially in the Q article above on the Arctic Monkeys; therefore they are a popular magazine convention. Drop capitals are generally used to draw the audience into the lead paragraph. I understand that my lead paragraph has to be interesting and captivating, I feel as though mine is, "Two years ago, Sally High found herself wrestling a dead-end job, no money and unsigned". I have not challenged any of the traditional code and conventions of a music magazine as I feel these conventions fit in perfectly with my magazine and are a great way to attract an audience. The colour of text co-ordinates if the colours of my magazine, my magazines basic colours are green, black and white, this continues without the magazine. This idea of colour co-ordinations is also shown in the Q magazine article; Q's main colours used are red and white which are also used in the Arctic Monkeys article.


The main picture of my article is placed at the top of my magazine, is landscape and crosses over both pages. Q's Arctic Monkey's picture is placed all on one page and they use more then one. My picture challenges the conventions of a music magazine. I placed the picture at the top of my page because I wished it to be eye captivating and the first thing the reader saw. This has been used in magazines such as Mojo (an example of this article can be seen at the bottom of this blog). My main picture does relate to iconography to slightly target more to toward women then men. The reason I have chose to try and aim this article more at women is because there are not many music magazines aimed at women, by concentrating more on women in this article I could attract a wider audience. This also relates to Laura Mulvey feminism theory and shows how media has progressed since the 1970's. The colour of the picture fades from left to right, this because there is two people in the picture, Sally High and a musician. I chose to fade the colour so Sally High was in full colour and musician was not, to show that Sally is the most important in the picture as the article is about her.


The type of article I have written is not an interview style. I decided against writing a question answer interview, I believe that a more story like article is much more interesting; it relates to conventions in magazines such as Mojo, Rolling Stone and Q. I felt as though a question answer interview may target more to a younger music magazine. This style of article can be seen above in the Arctic Monkeys article and below in The Doves article taken from Mojo magazine. The mode of address used is in-formal but no slang words are used. I felt as though slang word would not attract an older teenager young adult audience. The article begins by explaining how Sally High was an ordinary working-class girl who dreamed of being a singer. I used words such as "wrestling" as verbs to describe the struggle Sally High as been through to gain fame. In the gutters of the text I have used a puff quote "I would party 'till 6am - every night". The buyer would see this quote before reading the article and may draw them into actually reading the article. This quote also helps split the text, i decided to keep my article small as interest can be lost very easily if the article continues for too long. I decided the mis-en-scene of my article would be black. I decided on plain black as I did not want the article to look too cluttered but with a white background I was worried the article may look too plain. I decided on a black background to continue the colour co-ordination of my magazine.


The article I have produced is almost an introductory article of Sally High. Therefore know previous knowledge is needed on this singer before reading this article. This way I will attract old fans and new fans to Sally High.






No comments:

Post a Comment